jump to navigation

InterIMAP Progress Update #5 May 7, 2008

Posted by atmospherian in InterIMAP.
trackback

New updates coming this week:

Simple and Advanced Searching
I have added a new search system to the library that should make searching within a folder very simple. There are two new objects in the namespace, IMAPSearchQuery and IMAPSearchResult. The SearchQuery object contains many properties that represent the various search options that can be specified.

The actual Search method is defined in IMAPFolder and takes a IMAPSearchQuery instance as a parameter. The search method returns a IMAPSearchResult object that contains a reference to the query that was used, the folder that was searched and a list of IMAPMessage objects that are the results.

To simplify the search process, several static methods have been defined in the IMAPSearchQuery class that take a single argument, and return an IMAPSearchQuery object, which can be plugged directly into the search method like this:

IMAPFolder f = client.Folders[“INBOX”];
IMAPSearchResult sResult = f.Search(IMAPSearchQuery.QuickSearchSubject(“IMAP”));

What the above code basically does is first gets the folder named INBOX, and then calls the Search method on that folder using the one of the quick search static functions to automatically create an IMAPSearchQuery instance to use for the search. The results of the search are stored in sResult and the messages that match the search query can be found in sResult.Messages.

For more advanced searching you can create a IMAPSearchQuery object manually, and specify the terms that you wish to search for. You can specify values for any of the properties that are defined in that class and each will be taken into account during the search.

Currently this system will work only for including all the messages that match the query. There is no support for ‘OR’ or ‘NOT’ style parameters as of yet. The plan i have for this is to add special List<IMAPSearchQuery> properties to the query object, one for ‘NOT’ and one for ‘OR’ where new SearchQueries can be added and processed and included into the main query. I have to experiment with this option and see if it will work well and be intuitive and easy to use.

Local Data Cache
I’ve spent a great deal of time this week working on the local cache system. I’m happy to say that it’s nearly complete. Here is how it currently works:

First, to enable the local cache the developer needs to specify a cache file and cache format in the configuration. This can either be done at runtime, or using the configuration generators.

In the constructor for the IMAPClient class, the configuration is checked to see if a file is defined. if it is, a flag is set, and if autologon is also specified, the system logs in.

Once logged in, the system checks if the specified cache file already exists. If it does, it loads the cache into the object model, and then (if not in offline mode) the system syncs the cache with server (a config option has been added to set the system to auto sync or not). Updates are one-way with the server being the authority. (If the system is running in offline mode, any functions that would change the folder contents or structure are disabled). If the file does not exist, the system then begins the process of building a new cache file. Please be warned that if you are connecting to a large account with many folders and messages this process can definitely take some time (several hours in the worst cases, depending on the location of the server relative to your location, ie. if the server is on a local LAN it will be faster than pulling from the internet).

Once the cache is built, all the data will already be in the object model so no prep work is required to start accessing the messages.

When working in online mode, all of the message and folder copy/move/delete methods will also update the cache when their process completes successfully. This update should not force any special server commands to be run, it should simply serialize the current state of the object model.

Advertisements

Comments»

1. Cy - May 11, 2008

Line numbers 1672 and 1918 in IMAP.cs causes the following error under Mono platform:

ERROR: The table ‘Part’ is already allocated as a child of another table ‘Message’. Cannot set table ‘Part’ as parent table.

2. atmospherian - May 12, 2008

thanks for your comment. i haven’t tested the library with Mono yet, but the part that is throwing the error is part that i am currently re-writting. the original code doesn’t handle messages from gmail very well so i am in the process of re-engineering the message parsing methods to play better with gmail.

once this is done i will begin testing with Mono (unless you are interested in becoming an official tester for the project 🙂 )


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: